“9th Regiment New York State Militia”
The monument to the 97th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Doubleday Avenue. (39.842506° N, 77.242457° W; Google map; Tour map: Doubleday – Robinson Avenues) It was dedicated by the State of New York in 1889.
The monument is topped with a circle, the symbol of the Union First Army Corps, around the regimental number, and includes a bronze inset of the Seal of the State of New York on its front.
The 97th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Charles Wheelock. He was wounded and captured on July 1st, and Major Charles B. Northrup then took command. The 97th brought 255 men to the field.
|See Colonel Charles Wheelock’s Official Report on the 97th New York at Gettysburg|
From the front of the monument:
97th New York Infantry.
2d Brigade, 2d Division, 1st Corps
From the right side:
Organized and commanded by Col. Chas. Wheelock
of Booneville, N.Y.
From the left side:
July 2d and 3d
Engaged on Cemetery Hill and at Ziegler’s Grove
Killed 12, Wounded 36, Missing 78
From the rear:
Held the enemy in check here from 12:30 to 3, p.m. July 1st 1863 during this time charged across the field to the west assisting in capturing Iverson’s Brigade and securing flag of 20th N.C.
See more on the 97th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War