The monument to the 78th and 102nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiments is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New York in 1888.
The 78th New York Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Herbert Von Hammerstein. It brought 198 men to the field, losing 6 killed, 21 wounded and 3 missing.
The 102nd New York Infantry was commanded at Gettysburg by Colonel James C. Lane. He was wounded on July 2, and Captain Lewis R. Stegman took command. The 102nd brought 248 men to the field, losing 4 killed, 17 wounded and 8 missing.
The regiments fought side by side throughout the war and were consolidated into one unit in July of 1864 due to casualties.
From the front of the monument:
78 & 102 N.Y. Infty
during the battle by 102 N.Y. Regt. and 78 N.Y.
Skirmishers on ground in front.
Col. James C. Lane (wounded)
and Lewis R. Stegman (commanding).
Killed 10, Wounded 38, missing 11, total 59.
From the rear:
In July 1864, these two
regiments were consolidated.
Mustered out July 1865,
Col. Harvey S. Chatfield commanding.
Location of the monument to the 78th & 102nd New York at Gettysburg
The monument to the the 78th and 102nd New York is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill on the east side of Slocum Avenue about 180 yards north of the intersection with Williams Avenue. (39°49’06.7″N 77°13’10.2″W)