The monument to 1st New York Light Artillery, Battery L is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue between Chambersburg Road (US 30) and Meredith Avenue (South Reynolds Avenue tour map).
During the Battle of Gettysburg Battery E, 1st New York Light Artillery was temporarily attached to Battery L due to casualties. A separate monument to Battery E is southeast of town on East Cemetery Hill (East Cemetery Hill tour map).
Captain Gilbert H. Reynolds commanded the battery at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was wounded on July 1st and Lieutenant George Breck then took command.
The battery brought 141 men to the field serving six 3″ Ordnance Rifles. It lost 1 gun captured in the fighting west of town.
From the Reynolds avenue monument:
1st N.Y. Light Artillery
Artillery Brigade 1st Corps
From the rear:
Casualties July 1st, 1863
near Chambersburg Pike,
1 killed, 15 wounded, 1 missing.
July 2nd and 3rd engaged with enemy
from position on Cemetery Hill.
Organized at Rochester, N.Y. Sept. 17, 1861.
Mustered out June 17, 1865.
Location of the monument to Battery L at Gettysburg
The monument to Battery L of the 1st New York Light Artillery is west of Gettysburg on the east side of Reynolds Avenue about 0.3 mile north of Fairfield Road and 250 yards south of Meredith Avenue. Reynolds Avenue is one way northbound at this point. (39°49’53.1″N 77°15’04.6″W)
Monument to the detached men of Battery E
From the East Cemetery Hill monument:
Erected 1891 by the State of New York to commemorate
the detached men of Battery “E”, First N.Y. Lt. Artillery serving with “L” (Reynolds). – These works were built and held by Battery L, Lieutenant George Breck commanding against assaults of infantry and artillery during the second and third days of July 1863.
This monument committed to the care of a dear country we were proud to serve.
Location of the monument to Battery L
The monument to Battery E of the 1st New York Light Artillery is southeast of Gettysburg 50 yards east of the Baltimore Pike and about 90 yards east of the Evergreen Cemetery gatehouse. (39°49’14.2″N 77°13’42.0″W)