The monument to Battery B, 1st New York Light Artillery is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (39.810629° N, 77.235778° W; Google map; Tour map: Hancock Avenue Part 3) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of New York.
Battery B brought 114 men to the field serving four 10-pounder Parrott Rifles. Captain James McKay Rorty, a Second Corps Ordnance Officer who requested a combat command for the battle, took over from Lieutenant Albert S. Sheldon on July 2-3.
The battery fought near the Wheatfield and on McGilvery’s line of artillery along Plum Run on July 2, and was stationed on Cemetery Ridge on July 3, directly in the path of Pickett’s Charge.
Three of the battery’s cannon were disabled in the bombardment preceding the charge. So many men were out of action that Rorty grabbed a swab to help work the remaining piece and borrowed a score of men from the nearby 19th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment to keep the gun firing.
Rorty and nine other men were killed and Lieutenant Albert S. Sheldon was wounded as Kemper’s Virginians briefly overran the battery in a flurry of hand to hand fighting, planting their colors on one of the guns before they were killed or captured. Lieutenant Robert E. Rogers was left in command.
From the front of the monument:
1st New York Light Artillery,
Artillery Brigade 2d Corps
From the right side:
Position held afternoon of July 3rd, 1863.
Casualties; killed 10, wounded 16.
From the rear:
Organized at Baldwinsville, Onondaga Co. New York.
From the left side:
Mustered into service Aug. 31, 1861.
Participated in 78 days of battle.
Mustered out of service June 18, 1865.