The monument to Hexamer’s New Jersey Battery A is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue, in front of the State of Pennsylvania Monument. (Hancock Avenue Part 2 tour map) The State of New Jersey dedicated the monument on June 30th, 1888.
The battery is also honored by a series of markers at Antietam.
First Lieutenant Augustin N. Parsons commanded Battery A at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 116 men onto the field serving six 10-pounder Parrott Rifles, and lost two killed and seven wounded. Battery A was part of the 4th Volunteer Brigade of the Army Artillery Reserve.
From the front of the monument:
Battery A, 1st N. J. Art.from its position in reserve S.W. of Powers Hill galloped into action at 3 p.m., July 3, 1863. Fired 120 rounds shrapnel at Pickett’s column, and 80 shell at a battery in left front. Erected by the State of New Jersey 1888
Hexamer’s New Jersey Battery
Commanded in the battle by First Lieutenant
Augustin N. Parsons
From the left side:
Served Aug. 12. 1861
to June 22. 1865
Engaged in 30 battles
From the right side:
Losses. Killed 2, Wounded 7
Position in action 45 yards
E. of this stone.
Location of the monument to Hexamer’s New Jersey Battery at Gettysburg
The monument to the New Jersey’s Battery A is south of Gettysburg. It is on the east side of Hancock Avenue in front of the State of Pennsylvania Monument. (39°48’26.9″N 77°14’07.7″W)
See more information on the history of Hexamer’s New Jersey Battery A in the Civil War.