The main monument to the Fifth Massachusetts Battery is south of Gettysburg on Wheatfield Road. (Sickles Ave. at Excelsior Field tour map) The monument was dedicated by the State of Massachusetts in 1885.
A tablet marks the battery’s position on Hancock Avenue in July 2 and 3. (Hancock Avenue Part 2 tour map)
The battery was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Charles A. Philips. It brought 104 men to the field serving six 3 inch Ordnance Rifles.
Form the front of the monument:
Fifth Massachusetts Battery
From the rear:
7 enlisted men killed.
1 officer, 12 enlisted men wounded.
700 rounds fired.
Chas. A. Philips Capt.
Comdg. July 2, 1863.
The Nation Lives.
Location of the monument
The monument to the 5th Massachusetts Battery is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Wheatfield Road just east of its intersection with Sickles Avenue. (39°48’02.2″N 77°14’48.8″W)
Hancock Avenue tablet
From the marker:
Army of the Potomac
First Brigade, Artillery Reserve
Massachusetts Light Artillery
5th Battery E
six 3 inch rifles
Captain Charles A. Phillips commanding
July 2. Withdrew at 5 p.m. from the field near the Peach Orchard and went into battery here.
July 3. About 1:30 by order of Brig. Gen. H.J. Hunt fired on the Confederate batteries but did little damage. Opened an enfilading fire soon after on Longstreet’s advancing line of infantry and assisted in repulsing the assault. A charge was made within the range of the battery immediately afterwards by the Florida brigade and at about the same time a Confederate battery opened on the left front which at once received the concentrated fire of the batteries of the brigade driving the cannoneers from their guns which they abandoned.
July 4. Remained in this position until afternoon.
7 enlisted men killed. 1 officer, 12 enlisted men wounded. 700 rounds fired. Chas. A. Philips, Capt. Comdg.
See more on the history of the 5th Massachusetts Battery in the Civil War