There are two monuments to the 4th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment south of Gettysburg. The main monument is at the Devil’s Den (39.791882° N, 77.241421° W; Devil’s Den tour map) where the regiment fought in the afternoon of July 2nd.
A smaller marker showing the regiment’s location supporting the Union defensive line during Pickett’s Charge is on the east side of Hancock Avenue across from the Copse of Trees. (39.812491° N, 77.23529° W; Tour map: Hancock Avenue at The Angle; Google map to both monuments)
The 4th Maine was commanded at Gettysburg by Colonel Elijah Walker, designed the Devil’s Den monument. Colonel Walker was wounded on July 2nd, and Captain Edwin Libby took command. The regiment It brought 332 men to the field.
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
The 4th Maine Monument at Devil’s Den
From the front of the five-sided Devil’s Den monument:
4th Maine Infantry
Colonel Elijah Walker
From the right front of the monument:
3d Corps 1st Division 2d Brigade
From the right rear of the monument:
22 killed and died
From the left rearof the monument:
Erected by the State of Maine
From the left front of the monument:
In remembrance of our casualties July 2d, 1863
The 4th Maine Monument on Cemetery Ridge (Hancock Avenue)
From the front of the Hancock Avenue marker:
From the left (north) side:
July 2 engaged at Devil’s Den.
Colonel Elijah Walker in command wounded.
From the right (south) side:
July 3 in support here.
Captain Edwin Libby in command.
See more on the 4th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War