The Copse of Trees was the focal point of Pickett’s Charge on July 3rd, 1863, the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg. It is located inside The Angle, an area within a stone fence that zigzags south, then west, the south again near the trees (Location: 39.81246° N, 77.23589° W; Google map; Tour maps: Hancock Avenue Part 3 or Hancock Avenue at The Angle).
Union troops under Brigadier General John Gibbon defended the stone wall. Confederate troops led by Brigadier General Lewis Armistead temporarily broke through their lines and crossed the wall just west of the Copse of Trees (behind the trees in this photo) in what has come to be regarded as the high point of Confederate military acheivement in the war. It is commemorated by the High Water Mark monument at the base of the trees.
The grove today is surrounded by an iron fence, and is probably much smaller than the original wooded area.