Union monuments at Gettysburg > Indiana


The monument to the 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Colgrove Avenue near Spangler’s Spring. (Spanglers Spring tour map) It was dedicated in October of 1885 by the State of Indiana.

Monument to the 27th Indiana Volunteers at Gettysburg

A marker 90 yards north of the monument shows the farthest advance of the regiment in its charge on July 3rd. (39.814284° N , 77.21601° W) It was erected in 1890.

The 27th Indiana was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Silas Colgrove. He took command of the brigade on July 2nd, and Lieutenant Colonel John R. Fesler then took over the regiment.

The 27th is also honored by a monument on the Antietam battlefield and another monument on the Chancellorsville battlefield.

12th Corps Headquarters flag Attached to the 3rd Brigade1st Division12th Corps, Army of the Potomac 12th Corps, 1st Division Headquarters flag

 

From the front of the monument:

27th Ind. Infantry  

3rd Brigade, 1st Division 12th Corps

This monument marks the ground over which the left wing of the 27th Indiana advanced in a charge made by the regiment on the morning of July 3rd, 1863. Number engaged 339. Killed and wounded 110. Missing, one.

From the left side:

Silas Colgrove Col.
The 27th Ind. was organized in August 1861 for three years or during the war.
Reenlisted Jan. 1864.
Consolidated with the 70th Ind. Aug. 1864.
Mustered out in July 1865

Rear view of the 27th Indiana monument at Gettysburg

Rear view of the 27th Indiana monument at Gettysburg

From the rear:

27th Indiana Infantry
Total enrollment 1101
Killed & died of wounds 169
Wounded not mortally 527
Missing & captured 126
Died of disease
& other causes 127

From the right side:

Battles
Front Royal
Newtown
Winchester
Cedar Mountain
Antietam
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Resaca
New Hope Church
Kenesaw Mountain
Peach Tree Creek
Atlanta
Averysburg
Bentonville

Marker for the 27th Indiana showing the furthest advance of its charge at Gettysburg.

Marker for the 27th Indiana showing the farthest advance of its charge

From the marker:

27th Indiana Infantry
This marks the farthest point gained by the Regiment in its charge at 6 a.m. July 3d. 1863 on the works at the base of the hill behind this tablet. Four color bearers were killed and four were wounded.

Marker for the 27th Indiana at Gettysburg

The view looks east toward the Confederate lines which the regiment charged with the 2nd Massachusetts on July 3rd. Culp’s Hill begins its rise just to the left, and Rock Creek runs to the right just behind the trees. The ground, still marshy today, was much wetter in 1863 when McAllister’s millpond raised the water table in the area.

See more on the 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War

Location of the monument

The monument to the 27th Indiana is southeast of Gettysburg on the east side of Colgrove Avenue just north of Carmen Avenue. Colgrove Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’48.7″N 77°12’57.5″W)