The monument to the 14th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on East Cemetery Hill next to the equestrian statue of Major General Winfield S. Hancock. (East Cemetery Hill tour map)
The monument was dedicated in 1885 by the State of Indiana. It is carved of Indiana limestone and is 14′ tall. It was originally placed along Wainwright Avenue at the foot of the hill but now stands on the spot where color bearer Isaac Morris was killed on the evening of July 2nd.
|Attached to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Second Corps, Army of the Potomac|
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel John Coons. It brought 236 men to the field, of whom 6 were killed and 25 wounded.
From the front of the monument:
Principal battles in which the 14th Indiana engaged.
And more than fifty other minor engagements and skirmishes.
Mustered in June 7th 1861.
Mustered out June 7th 1864.
From the rear:
On the evening of July 2nd 1863, a determined effort was made by Hay’s and Hoke’s Brigades of Early’s Division of Confederate troops to carry Cemetery Hill by storm. The Union troops supporting the batteries occupying this ground were over whelmed and force to retire. Wiedrich’s Battery was captured and two of Rickett’s guns were spiked. Carroll’s Brigade, then in position south-west of the cemetery was sent to the rescue, advancing in double quick time through the cemetery and across the Baltimore Pike. The men went in with a cheer, the 14th Indiana met the enemy among the guns on this ground where a hand to hand struggle ensued resulting in driving the enemy from the hill. On this spot Isaac Morris, the color bearer of the 14th Ind., was killed, and many others fell nearby. The regiment then took this position along the stone fence at the base of the hill south-east from this point, facing the east, the right and left flanks being designated by stone markers, there placed, which position it held to the close of the great battle.
From the right side:
14th Ind. Vols.
1st Brigade 3rd Division Second Corps.
Erected by the State of Indiana in honor of her heroes.
There is also a monument to the 14th Indiana on the Antietam battlefield.
See more on the history of the 14th Indiana Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War
Location of the monument
The monument to the 14th Indiana is southeast of Gettysburg on East Cemetery Hill 60 yards northeast of Baltimore Pike and 45 feet north of the equestrian statue of Major General Winfield S. Hancock. (39°49’17.3″N 77°13’44.1″W)