The monument to the 1st Delaware Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Hancock Avenue near the Brian Farm. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove tour map) A marker showing the position of the regiment’s skirmish line on July 2 and 3 is at the location of the Bliss farm.
About the Monument to the First Delaware
The monument is carved from Brandywine Blue Granite from Delaware. It stands 7′ 9″ tall, rising from a base that is 3′ 3″ square to a shaft that is 2′ 2″ square. A cap at the top is fronted with the Second Corps trefoil symbol. The main monument was dedicated in 1885 by the State of Delaware, and the position marker in 1886.
The diamond on the front of the monument does not refer to the symbol of the Third Union Army Corps as on many other Gettysburg monuments, but to Delaware’s nickname as the “Diamond State.”
The First Delaware at Gettysburg
Lieutenant Colonel Edward P. Harris commanded the regiment at the start of the battle. He was put under arrest on July 2nd for withdrawing from the Bliss farm buildings without authorization. Captain Thomas Bullock Hizard took over until he was wounded on July 2nd. Lieutenant William Smith then took command until he was killed on July 3. (When Lieutenant Smith was picked up he had a Confederate flag in one hand, believed to be the flag of the 5th Alabama Battalion.) Lieutenant John Dent then took over for the rest of the battle. Lieutenant Colonel Harris was restored to command on July 4.
The regiment brought 288 men to Gettysburg, of whom 10 were killed, 54 wounded and 13 missing.
|Lieutenant James P. Postles, Corporal Bernard McCarren and Private John B. Mayberry were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions at Gettysburg; Postles for a 600 yard ride under intense fire carrying orders and McCarren and Mayberry for capturing the flag of the 7th North Carolina (or according to some sources, the 13th Alabama.)|
From the front of the monument:
Position held by the the 1st Reg. Del. Vol. Infantry
2nd Brig. 3rd Div.
2nd Army Corps
July 2nd and 3rd 1863
Erected by the State of
Delaware to commemorate
the gallantry of her sons.
From the Bliss farm marker:
Advance skirmish line of
1st Reg. Del. Vols
July 2nd and 3rd 1863
The 1st Delaware Infantry is also honored with a monument at Antietam.
See more on the history of the 1st Delaware Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War
Location of the monument
The monument to the 1st Delaware is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Hancock Avenue about 100 yards south of the Brian Farm. (39°48’52.6″N 77°14’07.6″W)