The monument to the 20th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg along Slocum Avenue on Culp’s Hill. (South Culp’s Hill Tour Map) It was erected in 1885 by the State of Connecticut.
From the front of the monument:
20th Conn. Vols.
20th Conn. Vols. W. B. Wooster. Lt. Col. Comdg.
1st Brig. 1st. Div. 12th A.C.
The Brig. formed on this line on the morning of July 2nd. At eve it moved to the support left of army. Returning, it found the position and woods on rear occupied by Johnson’s Division, Ewell’s Corps. During the night it lay in line of battle. At dawn, July 3rd, the 20th Conn. advanced under cover of artillery and fought 5 hrs. driving the enemy and reoccupying the works. Was relieved by the 123rd N.Y. In the afternoon moved to support the 2nd Corps against Longstreet’s assault.
This regiment went from Va. with the 12th A.C. to Army of Cumberland, marched with Gen. Sherman to the sea.
From the right side of the monument:
Gettysburg Killed and wounded 28
Total killed and died of wounds 90
Died of other causes 77
Disabled and discharged 264
From the left side of the monument:
Peach Tree Creek
Location of the monument
The monument to the 20th Connecticut is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. Slocum Avenue is one-way northbound, and can be reached via East Confederate Avenue from the south side of Gettysburg or via Colgrove Avenue from Baltimore Pike. (39°48’57.7″N 77°13’04.3″W)