The monument to the 2nd United States Cavalry Regiment is on the South Cavalry Field, south of Gettysburg along Emmitsburg Road. (map) There are also two position markers nearby.
The 2nd U. S. Cavalry was assigned to the Cavalry Corps – 1st Division – Reserve Brigade.
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Reserve Brigade First Division
Second U.S. Cavalry
Captain Theo. F. Rodenbough commanding
Detachment at Headquarters, Army of the Potomac.
July 3. Moved with the Brigade at 12 m. under Brig. General W. Merritt from Emmitsburg and attacked the Confederate right and rear and was engaged for four hours until the action was brought to a close by a heavy rain.
Casualties: killed 3 men wounded 1 officer and 6 men missing 1 officer and 8 men.
Location of the monument to the 2nd U. S. Cavalry at Gettysburg
There are two position markers for the 1st and 2nd U. S. Cavalry, one off Ridge Road and the other west of Emmitsburg Road. They have the same inscription:
1st & 2d Regiments
United States Cavalry
During July 3d, 1863
A sign on Emmistburg Road points the way to the marker west of the road.