The monument to the Tenth New York Independent Battery is south of Gettysburg on Wheatfield Avenue. (Sickles Avenue at Excelsior Field tour map) It was erected by the State of New York in 1893.
The battery was temporarily attached to the 5th Massachusetts Battery during the Gettysburg campaign after heavy losses at the Battle of Chancellorsville. It was under the command of that battery’s Captain Charles Philips. The 10th New York was reconstituted as an independent command shortly after Gettysburg.
From the monument:
10th Independent Battery, New York Light Artillery,
1st Volunteer Brigade, Artillery Reserve.
July 2nd 1863.
Casualties, killed 2, wounded 3.
Organized as the 2nd Excelsior Battery.
Mustered into U.S. Service April 9th, 1862.
Consolidated with 6th N.Y. Independent Battery June 21st, 1864.
Mustered out June 22nd, 1865.
Location of the monument to the 10th New York Battery at Gettysburg
The monument to the 10th New York Battery is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Wheatfield Road 25 yards east of the intersection with Sickles Avenue.(39°48’02.3″N 77°14’49.6″W)