The monument to the 5th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. (Sickles Ave. at the Rose Woods tour map) The State of Michigan dedicated the monument in 1888.
Lieutenant Colonel John Pulford commanded the 5th Michigan at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was wounded on July 2nd, the third of five times during the war.
Just behind the monument is a bronze tablet indicating the area was a field hospital for the 32nd Massachusetts Infantry during the battle.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
5th Mich. Inf.
Third Brigade First Division Third Corps
From the rear:
Effective strength July 2nd 1863
present and detached service
21 officers and 262 men total 283.
Killed 2 officers, 17 men;
Wounded 8 officers 78 men
Missing 4 men
The Regiment fought here about 4:00 o’clock p.m. July 2nd 1863 after it had been assembled from the skirmish – line far in advance of this position. It moved to the support of the 2nd Corps in resisting Pickett’s charge July 3rd.
Mustered in U.S. service at Detroit Mich. August 28, 1861.
Mustered out at Jeffersonville Ind. July 5, 1865.
Total enrollment 1850 officers and men.
Killed in action Officers 10 Men 14
Died of wounds Officers 6 Men 75
Died of disease Officers 3 Men 163
Engaged in 47 battles and skirmishes from Pohick Church Va. Jan, 9, 1862 to Appomattox Va. Apr. 9, 1865.
Location of the monument to the 5th Michigan Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 5th Michigan is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Sickles Avenue just before the Loop in the Rose Woods. Sickles Avenue is one way north and west, and must be entered from Ayers Avenue or the Devil’s Den area. (39°47’49.9″N 77°14’41.9″W)