There are three monuments to the Ninth Massachusetts Battery on the Gettysburg battlefield. The main monument is on Wheatfield Road (Sickles Avenue at Excelsior Field tour map). A position marker is at the Trostle Farm. A second position marker is in Zeigler’s Grove just north of the Bryan Farm. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove tour map). The State of Massachusetts dedicated all three in 1885.
Captain John Bigelow commanded the battery at Gettysburg. He was wounded on July 2nd. Lieutenant Richard S. Milton then took command. The 9th Battery brought 110 men to the field. They served six 12-pounder Napoleons. The battery was part of Artillery Reserve, 1st Volunteer Brigade.
|Bugler Charles W. Reed received the Medal of Honor for his actions at Gettysburg on July 2nd when he rescued his wounded captain from between the lines.|
Main monument on Wheatfield Road
From the front of the Wheatfield Road monument:
July 2, 1863.
2 Officers 1
3 Non-comm officers 6
5 Enlisted men 13
10 Total 20
From the tablet on the rear of the Wheatfield Road monument:
9th Massachusetts Battery
Capt. John Bigelow
1st position left gun Wheatfield Road
4:30 to 6 p.m. July 2, 1863.
Shelled Confederate Batteries on
Emmitsburg Road also the enemy around
Rose Farm buildings. Enfiladed with
canister Kershaw’s Brigade C.S.A.
moving across field in front from Em-
mitsburg Road to woods on left where
battle was raging in front of Round Tops.
By ‘prolonge firing’ retired before
Kershaw’s skirmishers and Barksdale’s
Brigade C.S.A. 400 yards.
2nd position angle of stone wall near
Trostle’s House where the Battery was
halted by Lieut. Colonel McGilvery and
ordered to hold enemy in check until line
of artillery could be formed 560 yards in
the rear. Was without support and hemmed
in by stone wall. Enemy closed in on flanks.
Men and horses were shot down when finally
overcome at 6:30 p.m. Lieut.-Colonel McGilvery
had batteries unsupported in position near
the Weikert House covering opening in lines
between Round Tops and left of 2nd Corps 3/4
mile occasioned by withdrawal of Graham’s
8 p.m. the enemy finally repulsed.
Location of the main monument
The main monument to the 9th Massachusetts Battery is on the north side of Wheatfield Road east of Sickles Avenue. (39°48’02.2″N 77°14’48.8″W)
Monument on the Trostle farm
The position marker is in the form of an ammunition chest.
From the monument by the Trostle Farm:
6 p.m. July 2, 1863.
Ninth Mass. Battery
“By prolongue retired firing”
from the crossroads 400 yds. distant
without infantry support before
Barksdale’s Confed. Brigade.
Final stand made across this road.
Location of the monument on the Trostle Farm
The monument to the 9th Massachusetts Battery on the Trostle farm is south of Gettysburg on the north side of United States in front of the Trostle house. (39°48’05.9″N 77°14’32.9″W)
Monument in Ziegler’s Grove
From the monument in Ziegler’s Grove:
Ninth Mass. Battery
July 3d and 4th 1863.
Lt. Milton comdg.
Only officer and guns effective after engagement on Trostle’s farm, July 2nd, 1863
Location of the monument in Ziegler’s Grove
The monument to the 9th Massachusetts Battery in Ziegler’s Grove is along Hancock Avenue is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue in Ziegler’s Grove just past the Bryan Farm. (39°48’57.6″N 77°14’05.5″W)
See more on the history of the Ninth Massachusetts Battery in the Civil War