The monument to John Page Nicholson is south of Gettysburg along Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove tour map) It was dedicated in 1925.
Nicholson was a Gettysburg veteran who rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry during the Civil War. Nicholson was active in veterans affairs and became the leading member of the commission which created and defined the national park we see today.
From the monument
John Page Nicholson 1842-1922.
Private 28th Pennsylvania Infantry July 20, 1861.
Regimental Commissary Sergeant July 21, 1861.
Discharged for promotion September 10, 1862.
First Lieutenant and Quartermaster 28th
Pennsylvania Infantry September 10, 1862.
Honorably mustered out July 18, 1865.
Brevetted Captain March 13, 1865. “For Faithful
and meritorious services during the war
Major March 13, 1865. “For gallant and
and meritorious services in the Savannah and
North Carolina Campaign” Lieutenant Colonel
March 13, 1865 “For gallant and meritorious
services during the war.
Recorder of Pennsylvania Commandery
Military Order of the Loyal Legion of
the United States 1879-1922.
Recorder-in-Chief Military Order of the
Loyal Legion of the United States 1885-1922.
Chairman of the Gettysburg National Park
Commission 1893 – 1922
Location of the monument to John Page Nicholson at Gettysburg
The map to the monument to John Nicholson at Gettysburg is on the east side of Hancock Avenue. It is about 240 yards north of the High Water Mark . (39°48’52.1″N 77°14’06.8″W)