Monuments to Individuals at Gettysburg

The monument to Union Captain Henry V. Fuller is in the Rose Woods south of the Wheatfield. (Detrobriand Avenue – the Wheatfield tour map) One of the least visited monuments on the battlefield, it was dedicated by the survivors of his company in 1894.

2nd Corps Headquarters Flag 2C-1D

Monument to Union Captain Henry Fuller in the Rose Woods south of the Wheatfield at Gettysburg

From the monument:

Captain Henry V. Fuller
Co. F. 64th New York Infantry
Killed July 2, 1863

Henry Fuller of Little Valley, New York was 22 years old at the time of his death at Gettysburg. He was a veteran of a dozen battles and skirmishes and had risen through the ranks from private to Orderly Sergeant to Second and First Lieutenant and finally to Captain and commander of Company F.

Fuller’s regiment, the 64th New York Infantry, had advanced with its brigade to the ridge west of Rose’s Run where the monument to the 64th New York Infantry now stands. But the brigade was attacked from the front and flank and had to withdraw back across the low-lying area along Rose’s Run.

As the regiment was withdrawing Captain Fuller was wounded in the leg. Private George Whipple came to his aid to try to help him to the rear, but Fuller was hit again, a mortal wound to his back. Whipple stayed with him as he died, and was captured by advancing Georgians.

Fuller’s body was recovered on July 4th and he was buried two weeks later in Little Valley Cemetery in New York. He left behind his wife, Adelaide, and their one year old son Henry.

Monument to Union Captain Henry Fuller in the Rose Woods south of the Wheatfield at Gettysburg

Location of the monument

The monument to Captain Henry V. Fuller is south of Gettysburg in the Rose Woods south of the Wheatfield. It is one of the harder to find monuments on the Gettysburg battlefield, standing in low and wet ground some distance from the nearest path, surrounded on three sides by a loop of Rose Run, and often obscured by brush. (39°47’41.5″N 77°14’42.6″W)

It is probably best reached by taking the old trolley roadbed about 135 yards north from Brooke Avenue. After crossing the bridge over Rose’s Run continue on the path about 35 yards. The monument is about 70 yards east of the trolley roadbed. There is a faint path that may be seen depending on the greenery. The bronze tablet of the monument faces the path and can sometimes be seen from the trolley roadbed.