Union monuments at Gettysburg > New York > Infantry


The monument to the 64th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Brooke Avenue in the Rose Woods. (Brooke Avenue tour map) It was dedicated in 1890 by the State of New York.

Monument to the 64th New York Infantry at Gettysburg

The 64th New York Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel David G. Bingham. He was wounded on July 2nd, and Major Leman W. Bradley took command of the regiment.

monument to Captain Henry Fuller is about 175 yards east of the regimental monument near Rose Run. Captain Fuller was killed at Gettysburg commanding Company F of the 64th New York.

The 64th New York brought 237 men to the field, losing 15 killed, 64 wounded and 19 missing.

2nd Corps Headquarters Flag 2C-1D

From the front of the monument:

64th N.Y. Infantry.
4th Brigade 1st Division Second Corps
July 2, 1863

From the rear:

Casualties,
Killed, Officers 4, Enlisted men 11, total 15.
Wounded, Officers 7, Enlisted men 57, total 64.
Missing, Enlisted men 19, Total 98.

Monument to the 64th New York Infantry at Gettysburg

 See more on the history of the 64th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War

Location of the monument to the 64th New York at Gettysburg

The monument to the 64th New York is in the Rose Woods on the east side of Brooke Avenue about 0.45 mile past Sickles Avenue. Brooke Avenue is a continuation of Ayers and Cross Avenues, and eventually turns into Detrobriand Avenue. All are one way west and north. (39°47’42.0″N 77°14’49.1″W)