The monument to Pettigrew’s Brigade is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 2 tour map)
The brigade was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Brigadier General James Johnson Pettigrew. Pettigrew took over the division when Major General Henry Heth was wounded on July 1st. Pender was wounded on July 3rd, resumed command on the retreat back to Virginia, and was mortally wounded at Falling Waters near the Potomac on July 14th.
After Pettigrew took over the division the brigade was commanded by Colonel James Marshall. Marshal was killed on July 3rd, and the badly battered brigade was then commanded by Major John T. Jones, the only surviving field officer.
Text from the monument
July 1. Crossing Willoughby Run at 2 P. M. met the 1st Brigade 1st Division First Corps in Reynolds Woods and drove it back after a bloody struggle. Advancing to the summit of the ridge encountered and broke a second Union line and was then relieved by troops of Pender’s Division.
July 2. Lay in woods west of the Run. In evening took position near here.
July 3. In Longstreet’s assault the Brigade occupied the right center of the Division and the course of the charge brought it in front of the high stone wall north of the Angle and 80 yards farther east, it advanced very nearly to that wall. A few reached it but were captured. The skeleton regiments retired led by Lieutenants and the Brigade by a Major the only field officer left.
July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Present on the first day about 2000 Killed 190 Wounded 915 Missing about 300 Total 1405