The monument to the 8th United States Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg near General Meade’s Headquarters at the Leister House. (Taneytown Road tour map) Captain Edwin W.H. Read commanded the regiment at Gettysburg. He was a career army officer from Ohio. Read was brevetted major for gallant and meritorious conduct during the battle.
The 8th Infantry was the only regiment of U.S. Regular infantry in the Army of the Potomac that was not attached to the Division of Regulars in the Fifth Corps. At Gettysburg eight companies from the regiment were assigned to Army Headquarters as Provost Guard. Five companies had served in that capacity since McClellan moved the Army of the Potomac to the Peninsula in March of 1862. The regiment suffered no casualties during the battle due to its duties behind the lines.
From the monument:
Army of the Potomac
Headquarters, Provost Guard
Eighth U.S. Infantry
Captain Edwin W.H. Read commanding
July 2 Arrived in the morning and engaged in provost duty until the close of battle.
Location of the monument
The monument is south of Gettysburg about sixty yards west of Taneytown Road at the intersection of Hunt Avenue. It is a few yards to the northwest of the Leister farmhouse north of the walking path up to Cemetery Ridge. (39°48’52.5″N 77°13’57.2″W)