Two identical monuments to the battery are on the East Cavalry Field east of Gettysburg. They are a short distance apart on East Cavalry Lane. The monuments mark the locations of the two sections in which the battery fought. (East Cavalry Battlefield – south end tour map) Battery E and Battery G were combined in February of 1862 and operated as one battery at Gettysburg.
Captain Alanson M. Randol (West Point class of 1860) commanded the battery at Gettysburg. He was a career military officer from New York, brevetted major for gallant and meritorious service at Gettysburg. The battery brought 84 men to the field and suffered no casualties.
The monument shows that the battery was armed with 12 pounder howitzers. But at Gettysburg all Federal horse artillery was armed with the lighter and more maneuverable 3 inch Ordnance Rifle.
From the monuments:
Batteries E & G First U. S. Artillery
Four 12 Pounders
Captain Alanson M. Randol commanding
July 1&2 With First Brigade Second Cavalry Division. Not engaged.
July 3 One section under Lieut. James Chester was ordered to Second Brigade Third Cavalry Division and took position west of the Low Dutch Road and with Brig. General Custer’s Second Brigade Third Division Cavalry Corps was hotly engaged in repelling the attack of Major General Stuart’s Confederate Cavalry Division. The one section under Lieut. Ernest L. Kinney remained near the Hanover Road.
Location of the monuments to Batteries E&G, 1st United States Artillery at Gettysburg
Two identical monuments to the battery are on the East Cavalry Field. They are a short distance apart on East Cavalry Lane.