There are two monuments to the 98th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield. The original monument was dedicated in 1885 on the north side of Little Round Top along Sykes Avenue by the survivors and friends of the regiment. (Little Round Top tour map) When state money became available in 1898 a larger monument was dedicated about 500 yards to the northwest near the John Weickert farmhouse. (Crawford Ave. & J. Weickert Farm tour map)
The 98th Pennsylvaia Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John B. Kohler. It brought 406 men to the field and lost 11 wounded. The regiment led the Sixth Corps on its epic 30 mile march from Manchester, Maryland. It reached the battlefield at the height of Longstreet’s attack on July 2, formed line of battle near its first monument on the north side of Little Round Top, then attacked toward the Wheatfield. After driving back Confederate attackers, the regiment reformed at the site of the larger monument on the John Weickert farm and maintained that position for the rest of the battle.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade. 3rd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the Sykes Avenue monument:
98th Penna. Infantry
3d Brig. 3d Div. 6th Corps
Leading the Corps in the marchfrom Manchester, Md.
Arrived here July 2d about 5 p.m. immediately charged to the Wheatfield and woods to the left. About dark rejoined the Brigade north of the paved road where other monument stands.
3rd Brigade. 3rd Division. 6th Corps.
From the right side of the monument:
July 2. 3. & 4. 1863.
From the left side of the monument:
98th Regt. PaV. V.
To our fallen comrades.
July 2, 3 & 4 1863
From the rear of the monument:
Penna. Vet. Vols.
Organized in Phila. April 29th 1861 for 3 mos. as the 21st Reg. P.V.
Re-organized Aug. 17th 1861 for 3 years as the 98th Reg. P.V.
Re-enlisted Dec. 23d 1863.
Mustered out June 29th 1865.
Location of the original monument to the 98th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The Sykes Avenue monument to the 98th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg about 55 feet west of Sykes Avenue on the north slope of Little Round Top about 165 yards south of Wheatfield Road. Sykes Avenue is one way northbound. (39°47’37.2″N 77°14’07.7″W)
Main monument to the 98th Pennsylvania
From the front of the Weickert farmstead monument:
98th Penna. Infantry
The regiment was the advance of the Sixth Corps in its march from
Manchester, Md. to the battlefield and occupied this position from the evening of July 2d until the close of battle.
3rd. Brigade 3rd. Division 6th. Corps
From the left side:
Recruited in Philadelphia
Mustered in April 29th, 1861 as the 21st
Pennsylvania Infantry for 3 months. Reorganized as the 98th Pennsylvania Infantry and mustered in August 17th, 1861. Renlisted December 23rd, 1863. Mustered out June 29th, 1865.
Yorktown, Williamsburg, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Marye’s Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomoy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Fort Stevens, Winchester, Fisher’s Hill, Cedar Creek, Petersburg (Fort Fisher), Sailor’s Creek, Appomattox
Location of the main monument to the 98th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The Weickert Farm monument to the 98th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg about 150 feet east of the John Weickert farmhouse, whose driveway is an extension of Crawford Avenue north from Wheatfield Road. (39°47’51.4″N 77°14’12.0″W)
See more on the history of the 98th Pennsylvania Infantry in the Civil War.