About the monument to the 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry
The monument consists of a 8′ 7″ tall statue of a fully equipped infantryman supported by a granite base. The soldier is wearing a greatcoat and carrying a knapsack, bedroll, canteen and cartridge box. He stands in a confident pose, bayoneted rifle at his side and thumb in his belt.
The square base is 9′ 7″ tall, for an overall height of a little over 18′ for the monument. The base is inscribed on the front and sides and has a tablet of the state Coat of Arms on the front just above the base. The monument was dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania on September 11, 1889.
The 53rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Richards McMichael, a carpenter from Reading who was a veteran of the Mexican War. It brought 15 officers and 120 enlisted men to the field in seven companies. Companies A, B and K were detached as division provost guard.
See Lt. Colonel McMichael ‘s Official Report on the 53rd Pennsylvania in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
53rd Pennsylvania Infantry,
4th Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Corps.
July 2, about 5 p.m. the Regiment deployed with the Brigade on the northerly side of and charged through the Wheatfield, driving the enemy, and continuing the advance to this position, holding it until ordered to retire. July 3, in position with Division on left centre. Carried into action 135 officers and men. Killed, men 7. Wounded, officers 11, men 56. Captured or missing, men 6. Total 80.
From the left side of the monument:
Recruited in the counties of Montgomery, Chester, Huntingdon, Blair, Centre, Clearfield, Union, Carbon, Luzerne, Potter, Juniata, Nothumberland, and Westmoreland.
Mustered in, November 7, 1861.
Re-enlisted, December 22, 1863.
Mustered out, June 30, 1865.
Total enrollment, 2080.
Killed and died of wounds: officers 4, men 196.
Wounded, officers 31, men 506.
Captured or missing, officers 3, men 163.
From the right side of the monument:
White Oak Swamp,
South Side R.R.,
Location of the monument to the 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry is in the Rose Woods on the east side of Brooke Avenue about 0.44 mile past Sickles Avenue. Brooke Avenue is a continuation of Ayers and Cross Avenues. All are one way west and north. (39°47’42.4″N 77°14’49.2″W)