There are two monuments to the 27th Pennsylvania Volunteers on the Gettysburg battlefield. A monument was erected in 1884 on Coster Avenue in Gettysburg, where the regiment covered the retreat of the Eleventh Corps on July 1. (39.835111° N, 77.22801° W)
The main monument was dedicated in 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania southeast of Gettysburg on East Cemetery Hill. (39.822066° N, 77.2297° W; Tour map: East Cemetery Hill; Google maps to both monuments)
The 27th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Lorenz Cantador. It brought 324 men to the field.
From the front of the monument on Coster Avenue:
27th Reg’t. Pa. Vol’s.
1st Brigade 2d Division 11th Corps
July 1st, 2d, 3d 1863
From the rear:
Mustered in May 5th 1861
From the front of the monument on Cemetery Hill:
July 1, 1863. The Regiment moved with
the Brigade on the afternoon to N.E.
side of Gettysburg where it became actively
engaged covering the retreat of the
Corps. It then withdrew to this position
where after dark of the 2nd it assisted
in repulsing a desperate assault of
the enemy. It subsequently moved
into the cemetery where it remained
until the close of battle.
Present at Gettysburg
19 officers and 305 men.
Killed and mortally wounded
2 officers and 7 men.
Wounded 3 officers and 23 men.
Captured 1 officer and 75 men. Total 111.
27th Pennsylvania Infantry
1st Brigade 2nd Division 11th Corps
From the left side:
Cross Keys Gettysburg
Rappahannock River Hagerstown
Groveton Missionary Ridge
2nd Bull Run Rocky Face Ridge
From the right side:
Organized in Philadelphia.
Mustered in May 31, 1861.
Mustered out June 11, 1864.
See more on the 27th Pennsylvania Volunteers in the Civil War