The monument to the 26th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Emmitsburg Road. (Monument map: Emmitsburg Rd. – Codori Farm) The diamond at the top of the monument is the symbol of the Union 3rd Army Corps.
The regiment was commanded during the Battle of Gettysburg by Major Robert L. Bodine. It brought 365 men to the field, losing 30 killed, 176 wounded and 7 missing.
|First Sergeant George W. Roosevelt of company B was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Gettysburg on July 2nd when he captured a Confederate color bearer and colors, in which effort he was severely wounded.|
From the front of the monument:
26th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2nd went into action here with 365 officers and men. Killed 30. Wounded 176 Missing 7. Total 213.
1st Brig. 2nd Div. 3d Corps.
From the left side:
Recruited in Philadelphia
Mustered in May 27th 1861.
Mustered out June 18th 1864.
Right of 3rd Corps on this line
From the right side:
Yorktown Second Bull Run
Oak Grove Chancellorsville
Peach Orchard Gettysburg
Glendale Wapping Heights
Malvern Hill Second Mine Run
Bristoe Station Wilderness
See more on the 26th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War
The monument to the 26th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburgon the east side of Emmistsburg Road 150 yards north of Sickes Avenue. (39°48’32.2″N 77°14’34.8″W)