There are two monuments to the 153rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield. The main monument is north of Gettysburg on Barlow’s Knoll along Howard Avenue. (Howard Avenue East tour map)
The 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The 153rd Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John F. Freuauff. It had been raised as a nine months service regiment in September of 1862 and would muster out three weeks after the battle at the end of July.
About the main monument 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry
The main monument is made of granite and stands about 15′ 6″ tall. It is topped with the statue of a bugler. The crescent moon symbol of the Eleventh Corps is on its front above an inset bronze tablet of the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania. The monument was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania.
From the front of the monument:
153rd Penna Infantry
1st Brig. 1st Div. 11th Corps
July 1. The Regiment held this position in the afternoon until
the Corps was outflanked and retired, when it took position along the lane at the foot of East Cemetery Hill, where it remained until the close of the battle, assisting to repulse the enemy’s assault on the night of the 2nd.
From the left side of the monument:
Carried into action 24 officers 545 men.
Killed and died of wounds 1 officer 40 men.
Wounded 7 officers 117 men.
Captured and missing 46 men.
Total loss 211.
From the right side:
Recruited in Northampton County.
Mustered in September 1862,
Mustered out July 24, 1863
Location of the main monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The Howard Avenue monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment is north of Gettysburg on the northeast side of Barlow’s Knoll along Howard Avenue. Howard Avenue is one way from Barlow’s Knoll to Harrisburg Road. (39°50’44.5″N 77°13’34.2″W)
Original monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry
From the monument:
153d Regt. Penn. Vol.
1st Brigade, 1st Division
11h Corps. Engaged at
May 1, 2, 3 & 4, 1863
July 1, 2, & 3, 1863
Erected by the survivors.
Location of the secondary monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The Wainwright Avenue monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg at the foot of East Cemetery Hill on the west side of Wainwright Avenue abhout 200 yards north of Slocum Avenue.
Wainwright Avenue is one way northbound. (39°49’17.9″N 77°13’38.7″W)