About the monument
The granite monument stands just under sixteen feet high. The circle symbol of the First Corps is on all four sides of the cap, and a bronze relief of three stacked muskets is set into a niche on its front. The monument was dedicated on July 1, 1888 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 151st Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 151st Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel George F. McFarland. He was wounded on July 1st near the Seminary, losing his leg. Captain Walter L. Owens then took command.
The 151st brought 467 men to the field. It lost 51 killed, 211 wounded and 75 missing – the second highest casualty total of all Union regiments at the Battle of Gettysburg. It mustered out of its nine months service three weeks after the battle, having lost 75% of its strength in its one fight.
The regiment had over 100 schoolteachers on its muster rolls, and was known as the School Teacher Regiment.
|See Lt. Colonel McFarland’s Official Report on the 151st Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg|
From the front of the monument:
151st Pennsylvaia Infantry
July 1. Fought here and in the grove west of the
July 2. In reserve on Cemetery Hill.
July 3. In position on left centre and assisted in
repulsing the charge of the enemy in the afternoon.
Present at Gettysburg, officers 21, men 446.
Killed and mortally wounded, officers 2, men 79.
Wounded, officers 9, men 172.
Captured or missing, officers 4, men 71.
Total loss officers 15, men 322.
1st Brigade 3rd Division, 1st Corps
From the rear:
Recruited in the counties of Berks, Juniata, Schuylkill, Susquehanna, Pike and Warren.
Mustered in Oct. & Nov. 1862
Mustered out July 27, 1863
See more on the 151st Pennsylvania in the Civil War