About the monument to the 145th Pennsylvania
The monument consists of a 10′ 9″ tall statue of a young infantryman going into action set atop a tapered granite base. A tablet of the state Coat of Arms is set into the front of the base at its top. A double trefoil symbol of the Second Corps is on the top of both sides. The monument was dedicated on September 11, 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 145th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 145th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Hiram L. Brown. He was wounded during the fighting on the 2nd, and Captain John W. Reynolds took command until he, too was wounded. Captain Moses Oliver then took over.
See Captain Reynolds’ Official Report for the 145th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg.
From the front of the monument:
July 2nd. In the evening about 5 O’Clock the Regiment with the Brigade charged from the northerly side of the Wheat field driving the enemy and capturing many prisoners. This position was held until the command was outflanked when it retired under orders.
July 3. The Regiment was in position on the left center with the Division.
Present at Gettysburg 228 officers and men.
Killed and mortally wounded 3 officers 21 men.
Wounded 9 officers 50 men.
Captured or missing 10 men.
145th Pennsylvania Infantry
4th Brig. 1st Div. 2nd Corps
From the left side:
Recruited in Erie, Warren, Crawford, and Mercer Counties.
Total enrollment 1460.
Killed and mortally wounded 18 officers 175 men.
Died of disease & c. 3 officers 224 men.
Wounded 23 officers 364 men.
Captured or missing 17 officers 367 men.
From the right side:
South Side R.R.
See more on the 145th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War