About the monument to the 141st Pennsylvania
The granite monument stands about fourteen feet high. On its face is a carved relief of two crossed rifles hung with a canteen and cartridge box and crowned with laurel leaves, all above an inset bronze tablet with the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania. The monument’s cap works in the diamond symbol of the Third Corps on all four sides. The monument was dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania on September 11, 1889.
The 141st Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 141st was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Henry J. Madill, an attorney from Towanda. Its losses included the death or mortal wounding of all of the color bearers and the entire color guard. It has the second highest percentage of losses of any Union regiment on the field, following only the 1st Minnesota.
See Lieutenant Colonel Madill’s Official Report of the 141st Pennsylvania in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
141st Penna Infantry
1st Brig. 1st Div. 3rd Corps
Mustered in August and September 1862
Mustered out May 28, 1865
Recruited in Bradford, Susquehanna
and Wayne Counties
Present at Gettysburg 9 offices and 200 men.
Killed and died of wounds 1 officer 41 men Total 42 Wounded 5 ” 81 ” 86 ”
Captured or missing 21 ” 21 ”
From the left side:
July 2 occupied this position from 4 to 6 p.m. Advanced and successfully resisted an attack on the 15th New York Light Artillery by the 2nd and 8th South Carolina Infantry. Afterwards retired changed front to the right and encountered a brigade of the 13 17 18 & 21 Mississippi Infantry. Held them in check with great gallantry until outflanked. Retired firing by successive formations from the field.
From the rear:
Total enrollment 1048.
Killed and died of wounds 6 officers 144 men Total 150
Died of disease etc. 3 officers 88 men Total 91
Wounded 23 officers 426 men Total 449
Captured or missing 106 men Total 106
Total casualties 796
Fredericksburg Cold Harbor
Gettysburg Strawberry Plains
Auburn Deep Bottom
Kelly s Ford Poplar Spring Church
Mine Run Boydton Road
Wilderness Hatcher’s Run
Spotsylvania Petersburg (Watkin’s House)
North Anna Amelia Springs
See more on the 141st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War