There are two monuments to the 140th Pennylvania Volunteers south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. The smaller monument was erected in 1885 and was paid for by veterans and friends of the regiment. (39.797561° N, 77.245595° W) The State of Pennsylvania made funding available for monuments in 1889 and the regimental association elected to use the state funds to create a second and larger monument which was placed 60 yards to the west. (39.79765° N, 77.246225° W; Tour map for both monuments: Sickles Ave. at the Rose Woods; Google maps to both monuments)
About the monument to the 140th Pennsylvania
The main monument is granite and stands a little over sixteen and one half feet high. The monument is capped by a carved drum draped with a flag. The inscribed panel on the front is flanked by carved rifles, a canteen and cartridge boax, with a carved knapsack just above the base. A brass tablet of the Coat of Arms of the State of Pennsylvania is inset into the front of the monument, and the tefoil symbol of the Second Corps is just below the top of the monument on all four sides. The monument was dedicated on September 11, 1889.
About the 140th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 140th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Richard P. Roberts, an attorney from Beaver, Pa. He was killed on July 2nd and Lieutenant Colonel John Fraser took command. It brought 589 men to the field and lost 235 casualties.
|Lieutenant James L. Purman and Sergeant James Pipes of Company A were awarded the Medal of Honor. While retiring before the rapid advance of the enemy on July 2nd both were severely wounded when they stopped and carried to a place of safety a wounded and helpless comrade.|
See Lieutenant Colonel Fraser’s Official Report of the 140th Pennsylvania in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the main monument
140th Penna. Infantry.
3d Brig. 1st Div. 2nd Corps
The regiment engaged the enemy on this position late in the afternoon of July 2nd, succeeding 5th Corps troops and holding the right of the 1st Division, 2nd Corps. Supported battery on left centre July 3rd.
Present at Gettysburg 589 officers and men. Killed and died of wounds, 3 officers 50 men. Wounded 8 officers 120 men. Captured or missing 3 officers 57 men. Total 241.
From the left side:
Recruited in Washington, Beaver, Greene and Mercer Counties.
Mustered in August – September 1862.
Mustered out May 31, 1865.
From the right side:
Total enrollment 1146.
Killed and died of wounds 10 officers 176 men
Died of disease etc. 1 officers 131 men
Wounded 18 officers 354 men
Captured or missing 5 officers 122 men
From the rear:
Gettysburg Strawberry Plain
Bristoe Station Deep Bottom
Mine Run Reams Station
Wilderness Hatchers Run
Spotsylvania Boydton Road
North Anna Sutherland Station
Totopotomoy Sailor’s Creek,
Cold Harbor Farmville
From the smaller monument:
140th Regt. Penna. Vols.
Col. R. P. Roberts commanding.
Zook’s Brig., Caldwell’s Div., Hancock’s Corps.
July 2nd 1863.
(succeeded 5. Corps troops)
Carried into action
29 officers and 560 enlisted men
Lost in action 14 officers and 34 enlisted men
Killed, 3 officers and 34 enlsted men.
Died of wounds 1 officer and 16 ” “.
Wounded, 7 officers and 120 ” “.
Capt’d and missing, 3 oficers and 57 ” “.
In memory of our comrades, 1885.
Right of First Div. 2. Corps
See more about the 140th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War