About the monument to the 116th Pennsylvania
The monument is a nine foot wide granite sepulcher supporting the sculpture of a fallen soldier lying next to a stone wall. The soldier was probably modelled after Sergeant Charles Gardner of the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry, who Major Mulholland’s adjutant sketched after finding the sergeant lying dead on the field with a peaceful smile on his face. The monument was erected in 1888 and dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania on on September 11, 1889.
The 116th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 116th was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major St. Clair A. Mulholland, a Philadelhia painter born in County Antrim, Ireland. Mulholland was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May of 1863.
By the time of the Battle of Gettysburg the regiment was reduced to a battalion of four comanies. Company B was detached during the battle, serving as the Division Provost Guard.
See Major Mulholland’s Official Report on the 116th Pennsylvania in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
116th Pennsylvania Infantry
2nd Brig. 1st Div. 2nd Corps
From the rear:
July 2, 1863
In action 142 officers and men
Killed and wounded 37
See more on the 116th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War