The monument to the 4th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue Part 1 tour map) It was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel William E. Doster. It brought 307 men to the field and lost 1 man killed.
|See Lt. Colonel Doster’s Official Report for the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry in the Gettysburg Campaign|
From the front of the monument:
From the rear of the monument:
Detached on the morning of July 2nd from the Brigade at the
junction of White Run and Baltimore Turnpike, ordered to
report to Headquarters, Army of the Potomac.
Supported a battery temporarily near this position.
On picket at night, retiring late on the afternoon of the 3rd to
Second Cavalry Division.
Mustered in Aug. 5 to Oct. 30 1861. Re-enlisted Jan. 1 1864.
Mustered out July 1865.
Recruited in Northampton, Allegheny, Westmoreland, Indiana,
Venango, Lebanon and Luzerne Counties.
Total enrollment 1930.
Killed and died of wounds: officers 9, men 92, total 101
Died of disease, etc.: officers 3, men 252, total 255
Wounded: officers 2, men 248, total 269
Captured or missing: officers 5, men 266, total 271
Total casualties 896
From Mechanicsville June 26 1862
to Appomattox April 9, 1865.
Location of the monument to the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 0.2 mile north of United States Avenue and just past the New York State Auxilliary Monument. Hancock Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’17.2″N 77°14’04.3″W)