The monument to the 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment is east of Gettysburg on the East Cavalry Battlefield near Cavalry Field Road. It was dedicated in 1890 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (39.8273° N , 77.16255° W; Google map; Tour map: East Cavalry Battlefield – south end)
The 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettybsurg by Lieutenant Colonel Edward S. Jones. It brought 394 men to the field, losing 15 wounded and 6 missing.
Captain William E. Miller of Company H was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3rd when he “Without orders, led a charge of his squadron upon the flank of the enemy, checked his attack, and cut off and dispersed the rear of this column.”
From the front of the monument:
Third Pennsylvania Cavalry
From around the base of the monument:
From the rear:
July 2nd 1863. Reached the field at noon from Hanover.
Engaged dismounted a Confederate Brigade of Infantry on Brinkerhoff’s Ridge from 6 to 10 p.m.
July 3rd engaged mounted and dismounted with the Confederate Cavalry Division on this field from 2 p.m. until evening portions of the Regiment. Advancing in a mounted charge and driving the enemy beyond the Rummel Farm Buildings.
See more about the 3rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War