The monument to the Second Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Cemetery Ridge behind Meade’s Headquarters at the Leister House. (39.814338° N, 77.233665° W; Google map; Tour map: Taneytown Road)
The 2nd Pensylvania Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Richard Butler Price. It brought 575 men to the field, and suffered no casualties.
From the front of the monument:
2d. Pennsylvania Cavalry attached to Provost Guard, Army Headquarters.
The regiment held this position July 3rd until the close of the day when it conducted 3000 prisoners to Westminster, Md. Detachments served in other parts of the field during the battle.
From the right side:
Mustered in August – October 1861.
Re-enlisted Dec. 1863 – Feb. 1864.
Consolidated with the 20th Pennsylvania Cavalry to form the 1st Provisional Pennsylvania Cavalry, June 17th, 1865.
Mustered out July 13th, 1865.
From the left side:
Philadelphia, Lancaster, Centre,
Northampton, Crawford, Berks,
Tioga and Armstrong countries.
From the rear:
2d Bull Run
Hanover Court House
Jerusalem Plank Road
White Oak Swamp
Poplar Spring Church
Stoney Creek Station
and other battles.
See more on the 2nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War