“Heckman’s Battery”

The monument to Battery K, First Ohio Light Artillery is on the north side of Gettysburg on the corner of Carlisle and Lincoln Streets. (39.83686° N, 77.23130° W; Google map). It was dedicated in 1887 by the State of Ohio.

Battery K was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Lewis Heckman. It brought 118 men to the field serving four 12-punder Napoleons.

Monument to Battery K of the 1st Ohio Artillery at Gettysburg

From the front of the monument:

Battery K
First Ohio Light Artillery
Artillery Brigade 11th Corps
—-
Arriving about noon July 1, 1863
this battery
Capt. Lewis Heckman commanding
went into position here in reserve.
When the 11th Corps began to retire,
it engaged the enemy with great gallantry.
After severe loss it was withdrawn.
—-
Casualties
2 killed, 11 wounded, 2 missing

Rear view of the Monument to Battery K of the 1st Ohio Artillery at Gettysburg

Rear view of the monument

From the rear:

Battery K
First Ohio Light Artillery
Was organized for 3 years under
Capt. Wm. L. DeBeck in the autumn of 1861.
Reenlisted for 3 years in February 1864.
Mustered out July 12, 1865

Principal engagements

Bull Pasture Mountain
Cross Keys
Cedar Mountain
Freeman’s Ford
Warrenton Sulphur Springs
Waterloo Bridge

Groveton
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Wauhatchie
Lookout Mountain
Mission Ridge

Side view of the Monument to Battery K of the 1st Ohio Artillery at Gettysburg

Side view of the monument to Battery K

From the right side:

Capt. Wm. L. DeBeck Oct. 10 1861 to May 11, 1863

Side view of the Monument to Battery K of the 1st Ohio Artillery at Gettysburg

Side view of the Monument to Battery K

From the left side:

Capt. Lewis Heckman May 11 1863 to July 12 1865

See more on Battery K, First Ohio Light Artillery in the Civil War