The monument to the 73rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Taneytown Road on the west side of the National Cemetery. (National Cemetery tour map) It was erected in 1887 by the State of Ohio.
There is also a marker to the 73rd Ohio Infantry Regiment on the Second Bull Run battlefield at Manassas.
Lieutenant Colonel Richard Long, Jr. commanded the 73rd Ohio at the Battle of Gettysburg.
|Musician Richard Enderlin of Company B was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions when he “voluntarily took a rifle and served as a soldier in the ranks during the first and second days of the battle. Voluntarily and at his own imminent peril went into the enemy’s lines at night and, under a sharp fire, rescued a wounded comrade.”|
From the front of the monument:
73d Ohio Infantry
2d Brigade, 2d Division, 11th Corps.
Erected by The State of Ohio
From the left side of the monument:
July 1, 2, 3, 1863.
Mortally wounded 19
Additional wounded 104
Total loss 145
From the right side of the monument:
Organized at Chillicothe, Ohio
Mustered in Dec. 30, 1861
Mustered out July 20, 1865
Original strength 891
Total enrolled 1284
From the rear of the monument:
Bull Pasture Mountain
New Hope Church
March to the Sea
Location of the monument to the 73rd Ohio Infantry
The monument to the 73rd Ohio is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Taneytown Road about 125 yards south of the intersection with Steinwehr Avenue. (39°49’13.5″N 77°13’57.9″W)