Union monuments at Gettysburg > New York > Infantry


“1st Long Island Volunteers”

The monument to the 67th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (39.817711° N, 77.219725° W; Google map; North Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of New York.

The monument to the 67th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment

The 67th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Nelson Cross, whose brother Edward was killed at Gettysburg leading a brigade in the Wheatfield.

The 67th brought 356 men to the field, losing 1 missing.

2nd Corps Headquarters Flag 2C-3D

 

From the front of the monument:

1st Long Island Volunteers

67th N.Y. Inf’y
1st Brig. 3d Div. 6th Corps

Monument to the 67th new York at Gettysburg

From the bronze tablet on the front of the monument:

It is over

bas relief from the 67th New York monument at Gettysburg

From the rear of the monument:

Held this position July 3rd; then moved double quick to left centre to resist Confederate charge upon our batteries.

From the right side of the monument:

Accepted and mustered in as U.S. Volunteers June 20, 1861.
Mustered out July 4, 1864.
320 re-enlisted veterans served through the war.

From the left side of the monument:

Engaged in 23 battles;
Army of the Potomac,
Gettysburg,
July 2d – 3d 1863.

See more on the history of the 67th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War