Union monuments at Gettysburg > New York > Infantry


The monument to the 137th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New York in 1888.

Monument to the 137th New York Volunteer Infantry on the Gettysburg battlefield

The 137th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel David Ireland. It brought 456 men to the field.

12th Corps Headquarters flag Attached to the 3rd Brigade2nd DivisionTwelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac 12th Corps, 2nd Division Headquarters flag

From the front of the monument:

137th N.Y. Inf’y
3d Brig. 2d Div.
12th Corps

From the right side of the monument:

The 137th
Regiment
of New York
Infantry
held this
position July 2nd 1863,
and until the
retreat of
the Rebel Army.

From the rear of the monument:

Casualties
Killed 40, wounded 87, missing 10.

From the right side of the monument:

For its services in this and many other great battles of the war it holds a proud position in the history of the “Great Rebellion”

Monument to the 137th New York Infantry at Gettysburg

 See more on the 137th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civl War.

Location of the Monument

The monument to the 137th New York is south of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill, on the east side of Slocum Avenue
about 70 yards north of the intersection with Williams Avenue. (39°49’03.3″N 77°13’10.1″W)