“Third Onondaga Regiment”
The monument to the 122nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill along Slocum Avenue. (39.817933° N, 77.219274° W; Google map; North Culp’s Hil tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New York in 1888.
The monument is topped by the cross that is the symbol of the Union 6th Army Corps and is fronted with a bronze of the Seal of the State of New York.
The 122nd New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Silas Titus and brought 456 men to the field.
From the front of the monument:
122nd. N.Y. Inf’y.
6th Army Corps
From the rear of the monument:
Assisted in repulsing the attack on the morning of July 3, 1863.
Loss killed 10, wounded 34.
From the right side of the monument:
From the left side of the monument:
Organized Onondaga Co. New York.
Mustered into service at Syracuse, N.Y. August 28, 1862.
Served continuously with the Sixth Corps until the close of the war.