The monument to the 10th New York Volunteer Infantry Battalion is south of Gettysburg on Cemetery Ridge between the Leister House and General Meade’s statue. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove or Hancock Avenue at The Angle tour maps)
About the monument to the 10th New York
The granite monument stands just over 12’ tall and is in the form of a square pedastle topped with a carved drum and knapsack draped with a flag. A brass trefoil symbol of the Second Corps is at the top of the monument and a round bronze Seal of the State of New York is on the front face near the base. The monument was dedicated by the State of New York on September 2, 1889.
The 10th New York at Gettysburg
The 10th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major George F. Hopper. It consisted of a battalion of four companies, A-D, consolidated from the original regiment when it mustered out in May after the end of its two year term of service. Of the 98 men it brought to the field, two were killed and four wounded.
The 10th served as Provost Guard in the rear of Hays’ Third Division, rounding up stragglers. After Pickett’s charge it was given over 1,200 Confederate prisoners to guard and escort to the rear.
|See Major Hopper’s Official Report for the 10th New York in the Battle of Gettysburg|
The 10th New York is also honored by a monument on the battlefield of Bull Run at Manassas, Virginia.
From the front of the monument:
July 3d 1863
From the rear of the monument:
Mustered In April 27th, 1861 at N.Y. City, For 2 Years
Mustered Out May 7th, 1863
Re-organized As 10th Battalion New York Infantry April 26th, 1863
Mustered Out June 30th 1865
Held this position with 8 officers and 90 enlisted men as Provost Guard Hay’s division during Pickett’s Charge July 3, 1863.
Casualties, Killed 2, Wounded 4.
Participated in all the campaigns of the Army Of The Potomac.
See more on the history of the 10th New York Infantry in the Civil War
Location of the monument
The monument to the 10th New York is south of Gettysburg about 80 yards east of Hancock Avenue and about 50 yards northeast of the equestrian statue of General Meade. It is also about 225 yards west along the walking path from the Leister House on Taneytown Road.