The monument to the Eighth New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue.(39.833553° N, 77.250557° W; Google map; Tour map: South Reynolds Avenue) It was dedicated on the 25th anniversary of the battle in 1888.
The monument was originally located 1,000 feet to the north, closer to Chambersburg Road, but in 1890 was moved to its present location to make room for the monument to the 8th Illinois Cavalry Regiment.
The 8th New York Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel William L. Markell. It brought 623 men to the field.
From the front of the monument:
From the rear:
Casualties: 3 killed, 10 wounded, 21 missing.
Pickets of this regiment were attacked around 5 a.m., July 1, 1863, by the advanced skirmishers of Heth’s Confederate Division.
The regiment engaged the enemy west of Seminary Ridge, with the brigade stubbornly contesting the ground against great odds until about 10:30 a.m., when it was relieved by the advance regiments of the 1st Corps.
See more on the 8th New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War