The monument to the 5th New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Bushman Hill, south of South Confederate Avenue and west of Big Round Top. (39.78426° N, 77.247237° W; Google map; Tour map: Bushman Hill & Slyder Farm) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of New York.
The 5th New York Volunteer Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John Hammond. It brought 468 men to the field, losing one killed, one wounded and four missing. The regiment was assigned to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Cavalry Corps.
From the front of the monument:
5th N.Y. Cavalry
1st Brig. 3rd Div. Cavalry Corps
From the tablet on the rear:
July 3, 1863, this regiment under command of Maj. John Hammond supported Battery E, 4th U.S. Horse Artillery, Lieut. S. S. Elder losing 6 men.
This regiment, June 30th 1863 met, and repulsed a portion of Lee’s Cavalry, under the personal command of Gen. J.E.B. Stewart in the streets of Hanover in a hand to hand fight, capturing Lieut. Col. Paine and 75 men, with a loss of 26 men kiled and wounded.
July 2nd 1863. This regiment attacked Gen. Stewart’s Cavalry at Hunterstown, and afterwards made a flank movement to this position.
See more on the history of the 5th New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War