The monument to the 6th New York Independent Battery is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Emmitsburg road north of the Leister Farm. (Taneytown Road tour map) The State of New York dedicated the monument in 1891.
Captain Joseph W. Martin commanded the battery at Gettysburg. It brought 130 men to the field serving six 3″ Ordnance Rifles. It was in reserve for the battle, suffering 1 man wounded.
The Sixth New York trained and equipped as horse artillery, sometimes referred to as a “flying battery.” Unlike standard artillery batteries where artillerymen generally walked alongside their pieces, each man in a horse artllery battery was mounted. This was for speed and mobility. All Union horse artillery batteries were equipped with the lighter 3″ Ordnance Rifles. Most horse artillery batteries with the Army of the Potomac were U.S. Regulars; the Sixth New York was one of only two volunteer batteries trained as horse artillery. The battery was assigned to the 1st Brigade Horse Artillery, Cavalry Corps.
From the front of the monument:
6th Independent Battery
New York Artillery
From the base of the sides:
1st Brig. Horse Artillery
From the rear:
Occupied this position July 3rd, 1863.
Mustered into service July 15th, 1861
Mustered out of service July 8th, 1865
Location of the monument to the 6th New York Battery
The monument to the Sixth New York Battery is south of Gettysburg. It is on the west side of Taneytown Road about 125 yards north of Hunt Avenue. (39°48’56.0″N 77°13’55.9″W)
See more on the history of the 6th New York Independent Battery in the Civil War