Captain William A. Harn commanded the battery at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 119 men to the field serving six 10-pounder Parrott Rifles. The battery arrived on the battlefield on the afternoon of July 2 after a 36 mile forced march from Manchester Maryland. On the afternoon of July 3 it was ordered to support Hays’s Division of the Second Corps during Pickett’s Charge. The battery had no casualties in the battle.
From the front of the monument:
3rd N.Y. Independent Battery
Artillery Brigade Sixth Corps
July 2 & 3, 1863
From the rear of the monument:
Forced marched 36 miles, second position.
No losses. Mustered in May 21, 1861, participating
in all the campaigns of the Army of
the Potomac to the end of the war.
Location to the monument to the 3rd New York Battery at Gettysburg
The monument to the 3rd New York Independent Battery is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Taneytown Road across from the entrance to the parking lot for the old Cyclorama. (39°49’00.2″N 77°13’56.0″W)
See more on the history of the 3rd New York Independent Battery in the Civil War