The monument was informally dedicated on the anniversary of the battle in 1893. According to Ames, “Thirteen of the survivors of the battery were present, and we dedicated the noble monument in silence and in tears. No one wanted to make a speech, an none was made. Our meeting was like the meeting of a family, and formalities seemed out of place. We dedicated the monument with our tears…”*
(*Edmund J. Raus, A Generation on the March: The Union Army at Gettysburg“, p.87)
The battery was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Nelson Ames. It brought 132 men to the field serving six 12-pounder Napoleons, and lost seven wounded. Battery G was part of the Artillery Reserve – 4th Volunteer Brigade.
From the front of the monument:
1st N.Y. Light Artillery
Engaged here with 3rd Corps
3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. July 2, 1863.
July 3, on Cemetery Ridge
with 1st Div., 2d Corps.
Casualties, 7 wounded.
From the back:
Mustered in Sept. 22, 1861.
Savage’s Station –
White Oak Swamp
Petersburg June 16, 1864 to Apr. 3, 1865.
Mustered out June 19, 1865.
From the marker:
July 3rd 1863