Union monuments at Gettysburg > New Jersey


The 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment was commanded at Gettysburg by Maj. Charles Ewing. It brought 386 men to the field, suffering no casualties. The 4th was detached from the brigade during the Battle of Gettysburg. Companies A, C, and H acted as Provost Guard and the remainder of the regiment guarded the Reserve Artillery train. Although the regiment is honored on the New Jersey Brigade monument along Sedgwick Avenue, it also has a small monument near School House Road. (39.804759° N, 77.217991° W ; map)

Monument to the 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

From the monument:

Train Guard
Provost Guard

4th N.J. Vols.

July 2-3
1863

Monument to the 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

The small monument is at the corner of Granite Schoolhouse Lane and Blacksmith Shop Road

See more about the 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War.