About the monument to the 3rd Michigan Infantry
The granite monument stands almost twelve feet tall. A carved relief on the front shows a pair of soldiers skirmishing, which was the regiment’s assignment on July 2 at Gettysburg, On the front of the top of the monument is a brass tablet with the Seal of the State of Micihigan, and on the front of the base is a carved relief of the diamond symbol of the Third Corps. The monument was dedicated by the State of Michigan on June 12, 1889.
The 3rd Michigan Infantry in the Battle of Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Byron Root Pierce. He was wounded on July 2nd and his brother, Lieutenant Colonel Edwin S. Pierce, then took command.
See Lt. Colonel Pierce’s Official Report of the 3rd Michigan in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
3rd Michigan Inftry. 3rd Brig. 1st Div. 3rd Corps
Mustered in at Grand Rapids Mich. June 10th 1861
First Bull Run to Appomattox
From the rear:
July 2nd 1863.
This regiment, deployed as skirmishers 150 yards in advance of this position, held the line extending from the Peach Orchard east to the woods, was the right of de Trobriand’s Brigade, and connected with the left of Graham’s.
Went into action with 19 officers, 267 men. – Total 286 Casualties.
7 men killed, 3 officers and 28 men wounded, 7 men missing – Total 45.
See more on the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War