The monument to the First Maine Cavalry Regiment is east of Gettysburg on the East Cavalry Battlefield, on the north side of Hanover Road just east of the intersection with East Cavalry Avenue. (39.81795°N, 77.169235° W; Google map; Monument map: East Cavalry Battlefield South) It was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Maine.
The First Maine Cavalry was commanded by Colonel Charles Henry Smith, who went on to receive the Medal of Honor for his actions at Saint Mary’s Church in 1864. The First brought 438 men to the field, losing 1 killed and 4 wounded. It was part of the Cavalry Corps, 2nd Division, 3rd Brigade.
From the front of the monument:
This monument commemorates the services of the
First Maine cavalry on the battle-field, July 3, 1863.
Col. C. H. Smith commanding.
From the rear:
Fortifications of Richmond
Second Bull Run
St. Mary’s Church
Number enrolled 3226
Killed in action 101. Died of wounds 53
Died of disease 171. Died in prison 195.
See more on the First Maine Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War