About the monument
The granite monument is just under seventeen feet high. On three sides are carved reliefs of a bugle, a laurel wreath of victory, and the crossed sabers of the cavalry. The monument was dedicated by the State of Indiana on October 28, 1885. It was moved in 1889, and again in 1960 when the Reynolds Avenue bridge was built across the railroad.
The 3rd Indiana Cavalry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel George H. Chapman, an Indianapolis lawyer. The Third was combined during the Gettysburg campaign with the 12th Illinois Cavalry. The 3rd brought 313 men to the field, of whom 6 were killed, 21 wounded and 5 missing.
The 3rd Indiana is also honored by a monument at Antietam.
From the front of the monument:
July 1, 1863
3rd Ind. Cavalry
Col. Geo. H. Chapman Comdg.
1st Brigade 1st Division Cavalry Corps
Army of the Potomac.
3d Ind. Cav.
From the left side of the monument:
Enrolled July 25, 1861 for three years or during the war.
3d. Ind. Cav. 1st. Brigade
From the rear of the monument:
From the right side of the monument:
See more on the history of the 3rd Indiana Cavalry Regiment in the Civil War
Location of the monument to the 3rd Indiana Cavalry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 3rd Indiana Cavalry is west of Gettysburg on the east side of Reynolds Avenue just north of the Railroad Cut. (39°50’16.5″N 77°14’52.2″W)